Pages

Friday, May 25, 2007

Flying with babies

For 2 weeks, I laid in bed at night wondering how on earth I was going to get myself and my 2 boys through the airport and on the planes that would bring us from El Paso to Waco. I tried to prepare myself as well as I could, but nothing could've prepared me for what I experienced in the El Paso airport on Wednesday morning. Jake took us to the airport and I checked in one bag and walked away from the 'porter' only to realize that I needed to check 2 bags so I had to turn around and check the 2nd bag. Jake parked the car and brought the boys in the airport to get in the security line. The line at Continental was out the door so we decided we weren't going to try and get Jake a pass to help us through security to the gate. We got in the security line and to the point where the agent checked our IDs with our boarding passes. The woman there told me that I needed a separate boarding pass for Maverick. I travelled 2x with Bailey as an infant in my lap and NEVER needed any other documentation! That shock to my system sent me over the edge. I called Jake and through my bawling told him to come get us and I wasn't going to get on the plane to Waco. He told me I was being a baby and needed to go get the boarding pass for Maverick. All the while, complete strangers are offering me kleenex and trying to figure out why I'm so upset and why my husband won't come back and get me. One woman even asked me if he was going to hurt me! I can laugh now, but it was horrifying then! Jake did turn around and come back to the airport. Thank the Lord the El Paso airport and Fort Bliss are right next to each other! We went to the Continental ticket counter and got Maverick a boarding pass and Jake a pass to be able to walk us to the gate. By the time we made it through security, we were the last people to get on the plane. Of course the other passengers were looking at me like I was insane bringing these 2 children on the plane alone. Thankfully the boys were well behaved and Bailey didn't even need the DVD player!

When we got to Houston for our plane change, the agent at the gate called us a cart to ride to the gate we needed to be at to get to the bus that would take us to our puddle jumper that would take us to Waco. The woman driving the cart made 10 stops before letting us off at our destination. I desperately needed to go to the bathroom and wished I had just walked so I could've stopped! Once again, we were the last people to get on the plane and the gate agent actually had removed us from the flight by the time we got to the gate. I had to carry Bailey and Maverick both up the steps to get on the little plane. The woman sitting beside us on the back row told me I was 'brave.' My comment to her was that my husband didn't think I was being brave when I told him to come pick us up in El Paso!! She ended up being an economics professor at Baylor and was super helpful when it came to getting the boys off of the plane. Other than needing desperately to go to the bathroom and Maverick wetting on both of us, the 40 minute flight to Waco was easy. Bailey fell asleep almost as soon as we sat down.

So we're here!! Jake got in this morning after being stuck on some dark road outside of Austin where 2 bridges had been flooded. He got to watch them rescue some people out of a car that was stuck in the river's current. There's never a dull moment with this crew!

Later, I'll have to post the video of Bailey's performance at Bethany's graduation.

1 comment:

Emily Jennings said...

I'm glad you made it. I'm going to be flying back to Bismarck with all 3 kids by myself next Wed. I'm getting nervous just thinking about it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...