Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

It's a hard life

These boys have a tough life, don't they?

Not alot going on in El Paso except for the invasion of water bugs! It stormed Tuesday night and Wednesday we had several water bug friends come to visit. The first one I saw was between the shower curtain and the liner while I was taking a shower yesterday. Needless to say, I had one eye on it the entire time I was in the shower. After I killed it, I attempted to flush it down the toilet and it refused to disappear the first time, but the second time it was a goner! Then, I opened the medicine cabinet for something and there were these huge antennas peeking out from behind a bottle of ibuprofen. I left that one there until Jake got home, but I kept checking on it to make sure it was still there. Then last night before I went to bed, there was one crawling on the floor by the bedroom door. It's life ended with the splat of a tennis shoe. I was glad to find out that one of Jake's classmates' wives encountered the same disgusting creatures yesterday at their apartment. I'm not sure if this is going to be an ongoing issue or if it's isolated to when it rains outside. Today I will be investing in a can of bug killer so that I don't have to get quite so close to them to kill them next time!

Tonight we'll be introducing our friends from Louisiana to Shrimp and Grits. I've never made Shrimp and Grits myself, but have a recipe from the Green Valley Spa and Resort in Las Vegas that looks fairly easy and tasty. Thankfully, Allen and Lori are good guinea pigs. They liked my cilantro lime rice concoction I made for them a few weeks ago. Jake told Allen that I was thinking about making Shrimp and Grits and Allen had never heard of it! He told Jake that he's had shrimp and he's had grits, but never together. He doesn't know what he's missing! I'm sure mine won't be as good as Fishbone's in Tega Cay or the Station in Rock Hill, but I'm also sure this won't be the last experimental batch I'll be making at this house.

Speaking of houses - - They've cleared the big lot of land where our new house will be built and already have about 4 houses completely framed! It's exciting to drive by there and see the progress they're making. I meant to take pictures of the lot before they finished demolishing the old houses over there, but never got a chance. Jake thinks we'll spend Christmas in a new house, but I'm not quite so optimistic. We're not sure how they'll go about moving the people in our neighborhood to the new houses. We assume they'll do it by street so we're right smack dab in the middle. I just hope we're not moving AT Christmas. I guess the new house would be a great Christmas gift, though. We'll see...




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to get the army to bring troops and get rid of those water bugs. They will take over. We had them in Sumter and the exterminator came and I had to take EVERYTHING out of my cabinets and all my closets. It was like moving. I hate those things. Hope your shrimp and grits turn out great. They will be glad you introduced them to that delicious dish. Love to all!!! GG

gDodson said...

mmmm....fishbone's shrimp and grits are delicious. thanks for the reminder.

Chris Whisonant said...

Umm, Harry & Jeans shrimp and grits... can't beat em!! :)

Jen Wade said...

I've never had Harry and Jeans Shrimp and Grits. We ate there for my birthday last year, but I can't remember what I had. I know it wasn't shrimp and grits though! Would you believe that I went to the grocery store and forgot to get shrimp? Silly me!

Pegsy said...

Ohhh, so nasty! Just the thought of those water bugs makes me shiver in digust. I grew up with those things, but they haven't dicovered Calgary yet! I feel for you. I would recommend getting the perimeter of your house sprayed. It really worked for my parents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...