Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving Traditions

Our family is about to experience our first Thanksgiving away from either of our families. I've been thinking for a while about what sort of traditions we could start for our family of four. For me, Thanksgiving isn't Thanksgiving unless I've watched some portion of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade or I've seen the turkey 'dance.' My mom always made the turkey do high kicks or a little shimmy before he got stuffed. Jake says the one thing about Thanksgiving he can't live without is Cranberry Sauce, fresh out of the can! I think I can handle that one! When we go to Waco for Thanksgiving, I'm always gauranteed a Chocolate Pecan Pie. Yum! After our Chocolate Pecan Pie, we used to load up and go to Super Kmart because it was the only store open on Thanksgiving day then. It's closed down now, but I'm sure we'd find some other shopping venue. That's just what we do!

This year we're talking about getting brisket and turkey from Rudy's and just making a few fixings here at the house. I'm craving a good sweet potato dish topped with walnuts or pecans! The boys aren't at ages where they'll really enjoy all the yummy Thanksgiving dishes. That leaves more for me. They don't know what they're missing! Jake wanted to get a turducken, but that just wasn't in the budget this year!

We're planning to have our friends Sundi and Kevin and their 2 kiddos over Thursday night. They're going to bring their leftovers and we're going to put out our leftovers and have a Thanksgiving Leftovers Potluck. Their family all lives in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area so we thought it would be fun to get together.

What makes Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving to you? What are some traditions you and your family have established?

2 comments:

GE is me said...

Turducken, hmmm- not sure I could handle that much poultry! But I'd be willing to try it once. :)
Thanksgiving for me has changed since I've been married. Before marriage, hubby & I agreed to alternate Txgiving & Christmas between the 2 families. (mine living 7 hrs. away.) So Thanksgiving for us usually means going to his mom's house if it's our year in town. Or heading to NY(western) to see my family. It will be strange as this is the 1st year without my mom.
But I totally agree with you. I like to catch some type of parade on TV.
Mostly I just try to remember what I have to be thankful for.
God bless, hope you have a Happy one & don't miss the families too much.
-Gail

Unknown said...

My favorite Thanksgiving memory, besides the turkey dance, is the year we headed to KMart in a snow storm because it was the first year they were open on Thanksgiving day and nothing was going to stop us from being there!! As if we couldn't go every single day since KMart was only a mile or so from our house. When they started the 6am Friday sales, Jen and I were in hog heaven!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...