Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Marathon Man

My precious husband woke up with the roosters this morning to run in the 2nd annual El Paso Marathon. He intended to push Bailey for the 26.2 mile trek, but the forecast was calling for 'gale force winds' so we were afraid the stroller might catch wind and fly away. So Bailey's still waiting to ride his first marathon.

Jake told me a few days ago that if he ran the marathon in less than 4 hours that he wanted me to make him Deb's Peanut-Butter Butterfinger Red Velvet Cake. I thought he would tell me that he was just joking, but when he came to the church in shorts and a Tarheel t-shirt, the first thing he said to me was "You owe me a cake." He finished in something like 3 hours 50 minutes and 36 seconds. I spent the afternoon at the grocery store buying the ingredients and came home tonight after church to start baking. It didn't turn out as pretty as Holly's did, but it was absolutely delicious! I'll need to make it a few more times to perfect it and know just how much icing and butterfinger to put where. If you're in the mood for a new cake recipe, definitely try this one!

Needless to say, I fell off the low carb wagon today, but it's been worth it! It all began when I was offered a piece of carrot cake in honor of Maverick's favorite admirer, Ms. Ruth's, 85th birthday! Happy Birthday Ms. Ruth! I actually just ate a few bites and gave the rest to Bailey. Tomorrow I'll be right back on the wagon. Gotta break this darn plateau!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I just cring at the thought of running for almost 4 hours. Way to go Jake! I read that recipe and it did sound yummy, but it doesn't fit in the First Place plan, so can't do super yummy cake right now. :(

Jen Whisonant said...

hooray jake!!! hooray cake!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Baby Boy!!! GG is proud of you. The cake sounds good except for the Butterfinger. I don't like them but boy Paw does. He would love it. Maybe we can make one while you are home. I hate Bailey didn't get to go along for the ride.

Love you all!!!!!!
GG

Cindy said...

That's pretty cool. I'm with Amanda, it seems like it'd get boring running that long. My mind would eat me alive! :-)
Way to go with the cake too.

Glad we could send some GALE force winds your way!!!

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO, JAKE. I'M NOT SURE BAILEY WOULD HAVE MADE IT THAT LONG. I THINK HE'S MORE OF A SPRINTER THAN A MARATHON MAN!!

Evans Newell said...

Jake, 3:50, you're awesome!!! Congrats! And yes, we want the cake recipe!! Love you both, Evans&Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...