Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Almost Heaven...West Virginia

Today's post is an ode of sorts to West Virginia. You might not know this, but my family hails from the southwestern part of WEST Virginia. This might explain some of my hillbilly or redneck tendencies :o) Did you know there are people in the United States who still don't understand that Virginia and WEST Virginia are 2 different states? Imagine it!

Nonetheless, today West Virginia University is playing Auburn University at 6:45pm CT. When I saw this game on the schedule, I knew exactly what Jenna Beth was going to have to do....1/2 day she'd be a Mountaineer, 1/2 day (game time) she'll be a Tiger! So here's the cute little Mountaineer.

Even more funny is that while I was trying to take her pictures in this outfit, but my grandmama called from West Virginia about a recipe exchange email I sent her. She was concerned that the way the exchange worked, not many people would get her Garlic Cheese Biscuit recipe so I assured her I'd post it here for all the world to see! She's a great cook, so I can guarantee that these will be delicious.

Bernice's (not Berneese) Garlic Cheese Biscuits

Melt about 1/3 c of Margarine with 1-2tsp of Garlic Powder

Combine:

2 c Biscuit Mix (she uses Jiffy Baking Mix )

About 2/3 c - 1 c Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Dash of Garlic Powder

Enough Buttermilk to wet the dry ingredients (about 1 c)

Drop by Teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheet, an inch or 2 apart. Bake at 400 until brown (10 - 12 Minutes). Using a pastry brush, brush the top of biscuits with the Butter/Garlic mixture as soon as removed from oven.

PS - Sometimes she even adds shredded pepperoni to the biscuits.

A note about my grandmama - - I'm not sure she measures anything precisely. Once when I was making a frozen pizza at her house, I pulled the pizza out of its wrapper and put it on a pan to put in the oven and she looked at me like I was crazy and said "Aren't you going to add more cheese and pepperoni to that?" She's the queen of doctoring packaged foods to her taste. My brother who wouldn't touch a vegetable other than spinach as a teenager convinced her once that pizza is a balanced, nutritious meal.

Maybe one day she'll let me share her Chicken and Dumplings recipe with you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...